Imagining what it will be like when the next quake hits New Zealand can be daunting but a little preparation will make a big difference to your health and safety.
Your workplace is a priority location to be prepared for emergencies. Have a plan. Secure your
area. Make sure you have an emergency pack or kit that is ready and convenient for all staff. In other words, don’t be scared, live prepared.
Here are a few tips on how to get your started.
Secure Your Surroundings
Reducing hazards throughout your workplace will greatly reduce your risk of injury during an earthquake.
Take a look around your environment now to spot potential risks like computers, filing cabinets, racking, refrigerators, audio-visual equipment and plan way fix and fasten them so they do not move when shaking begins.
Restraining these items now will help to protect you tomorrow.
Earthquake Safety Kits
Plan to be able to look after yourself and your colleagues for at least a day. Assemble and maintain your survival items in an easy to carry bag, just in case you have to leave in a hurry.
- Torch with spare batteries or a self-charging torch
- Radio with spare batteries
- First aid kit and essential medicines
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Pet supplies
- Toilet paper and large rubbish bags for your emergency toilet
- Face and dust masks
- Check all batteries every three months.
- Battery powered lighting is the safest and easiest.
- Do not use candles as they can tip over in earthquake aftershocks or in a gust of wind.
- Do not use kerosene lamps, which require a great deal of ventilation and are not designed for indoor use.
Quake Protected – Specialist Non-Structural Seismic Restraint Installers
Quake Protected installs non-structural seismic restraints in work environments so that potential falling hazards, like suspended ceilings, lighting racks, partition walls, computers and specialist equipment, stay in place during an earthquake.
These cost-saving solutions save people from harm, protect vital equipment and minimise the time it takes for you to get back to business.
Contact the Quake Protected team today by email or call 0800 537 369.